The $7.6 Million Bungie Lawsuit for Destiny 2 is due to a takedown boost from the YouTube channel

The $7.6 Million Bungie Lawsuit for Destiny 2 is due to a takedown boost from the YouTube channel ...

A spiral of nasty DMCA takedown notices for Destiny 2 content on YouTube earlier this year has now spiraled into a $7.6 million lawsuit, as Bungie goes after the alleged perpetrator in court. I feel trayed to, betrayed, and uneasy that someone we knew and trusted would do this, according to Owen Spence on Twitter. Literally, almost all Destiny music on YouTube is gone.

In March of this year, Bungie announced that the takedown notices were fraudulent, and weeks later, the studio said that the abuse was causing YouTube to be unreliable, causing the system to be opaque and difficult to navigate (Bungie went through customer service and didn''t get the issue resolved until days later). Months later, a Destiny 2 player named Nick Minor, who goes by Lord Nazo on YouTube, is the one accused of causing the incident. Google has now said that they are reviewing the information.

Minor and Bungie did not respond immediately to a request for help.

In a new lawsuit filed on June 22 in the Western District Court of Washington, Nick Minors'' malicious pleading to provide fraudulent takedown notices to some of the most prominent and passionate members of the fanbase.

Minor allegedly took lyrics from the company''s official soundtracks to YouTube, then deleted them, resulting in the YouTube disabling Minors channel altogether. According to Bungie, minor started impersonating a third-party law firm, which resembled the company''s own.

Minor is accused of distributing fraudulent takedowns on 96 other videos in a public interest, including some by his apparent mutuals in the Destiny YouTube music scene. Bungie also accuses Minor of using the smoke screen of suspicion that he had sparked in the Destiny community, claiming that the legitimate takedown notices against him.

Lord Nazo, our friend and someone in direct contact with us about the DMCA takedowns, wrote on Twitter yesterday. [Minor] lied to us, started a Discord group DM with me, Promethean, Breshi, and Lorcan0c, and then said things like this, touting as acting like he was a victim.

Discover the Samsung Summer Sales EventA Smart TV has a feature called Real Depth Enhancer, which can increase the contrast of elements in the foreground, allowing the content you see to be even greater than previously.

Minor explaining in March how easy it to submit fraudulent takedown notifications, and suggesting that he was causing someone to defraud YouTube''s system. A screengrab of old tweets appears to show him writing to the Destiny 2s community manager around the same time that his channel was wrongly caught up in the takedown spree, despite reportedly being the one behind it. During this time, he was also posting manifestos criticizing YouTube''s copyright takedown policies.

Destiny 2 is a live service game that excels in part as a result of Twitch, YouTube, Twitter, and Reddit. Spence is a team of musicians who were putting direct official soundtrack rips on screens as well as smaller audio enhancements, but it''s not clear if Bungie agrees with this distinction.

Promethean and Archival Mind, a YouTube channel, uploaded music as it played in-game. While a few of them still exist, like the First Disciple boss fight, many others were deleted during the takedown spree to avoid losing the entire channel. Promethean and Bungie have agreed to receive prior approval before moving ahead with their projects. On Twitter yesterday, they simply wrote, There is a twist I didnt see coming.

Promethan told Kotaku in a Twitter DM that his decision to [Minors] was a terrible effort to draw attention to an issue that resulted in dismantling the stuff he cared about. Besides, the two spoke together to discuss how Destiny music can be downloaded to YouTube in the future.

Bungie is not taking the alleged offenses lightly either. The studio is seeking compensation and injunctive relief for what it claims to be economic and reputational harm resulting from the incident. Those damages include $150,000 for each of the works implicated in the Fraudulent Takedown Notice, which resulted in a total penalty of $7,650,000, plus legal fees. Last week, Bungie received a settlement of twice the amount in a dispute with a Destiny 2 cheat seller. On the other hand,