Valve released a fresh update for Team Fortress 2 Tuesday, almost a month after a fan campaign organized by the games player base brought a number of dreadful events and issues to the developer.
Fans of Team Fortress 2 went to Reddit, Twitter, and Valves headquarters in May to launch a Save TF2 campaign. Aimbots that spam slurs and copyrighted music in chat, and vote kick all the human players once a lobby has more bots than humans.
Valve received a reply from the Team Fortress 2 twitter account for the first time in over two years, stating that improvements are underway.
We love this game and know you do it, too. We see how huge this issue has evolved and are working to improve things.
The latest update is addressing several obstacles that harmed players, including eliminating the ability to enter cheat codes in the games developer console on secure servers, eliminating the possibility to modify names during the game, and increasing the game''s voting system. Despite some longstanding obstacles, the update is a good start, and is not enough to address all of the games'' issues.
These are some incredible quality of life changes, particularly the double vote kick, and not being able to modify names during a match, according to Reddit user dilbert_gaming. No more worry about who is the real player and who is the bot who stole their name.
The time will tell if these modifications will alleviate the problem of bots in Team Fortress 2, but the fact that Valve has seen the potential to actively address the still-popular 15-year-old game is a good sign.
The following is a list of changes from the Valves patch notes.
- Fixed an exploit related to clearing the in-game text chat
- Fixed an exploit where players could use sv_cheats on secure servers
- Fixed an exploit where players could teleport back to their own spawn by changing loadout/class while touching the other teams No Entry gate
- Fixed an exploit with the Huntsman in which a player could change loadout to negate the speed debuff when charged
- Fixed an exploit with the Ap-Sap where players could spam noises
- Fixed an exploit where dispensers could heal through glass on some maps
- Fixed an exploit where a Spy could disguise and create an invisible bullet blocking shield at their feet
- Fixed laggy animations on Halloween bosses, skeletons, ghosts and other ghoul-like beings
- Fixed the Spy using incorrect disguise weapons when disguising as Soldier, Pyro, Heavy or Engineer with no member of the same class on the opposing team
- Fixed projectiles sometimes colliding with teammates too early/late
- Fixed being able to change names during a matchmaking game
- Fixed some HUD images being blurry when using low texture settings
- Fixed the Spys feigned deaths with the Dead Ringer not showing up in the matchmaking quick team status bar
- Fixed %killername% and other placeholder names sometimes showing up on the kill cam and stats screen
- Re-enabled ability for servers to send disconnect reasons to clients
- Added ConVar net_disconnect_reason to use the disconnect reason sent from the client
- Removed Headgear option from the Mann Co. Catalog dropdown list
- Updated vote system
- Both teams can have a kick vote running at the same time
- Can have a global vote running at the same time as a kick vote
- Fixed sometimes not being able to vote on maps at the end of the round
- Updated the El Fiestibrero to fix a problem with the model
- Updated/Added some tournament medals
- Updated the localization files