Valve released a new update for Team Fortress 2 on Tuesday, about a month after a fan campaign organized by the game player base brought a host of unsavory encounters and problems to the developers.
Fans of Team Fortress 2 flew to Reddit, Twitter, and Valves headquarters in May to start a Save TF2 campaign to encourage Valve to combat the increasing number of bots that have plagued the game in recent years. Not the kind of fun [of bots] from Mann VS Machine, wrote Reddit user diamondDNF. Aimbots that insta-kill players, spam slurs, and copyrighted music in chat, and vote kick all the human players once a
Valve sent the Team Fortress 2 tweet for the first time in over two years to reassure people that improvements are on the way.
We hear you from the TF2 community! We love this game and know you do it as well. We see how large this issue has become, and we are working to improve things.
The update focuses on several threats that can harmed players, including eliminating the ability to enter cheat codes in the games developer console on secure servers, eliminating the possibility to change names during the game, and improving the game voting system.
These are some remarkable quality of life changes, particularly the double vote kick, and not being able to change names during a game, according to Reddit user dilbert_gaming. No more worrying about who is the real player and who is the bot that stole their names.
It''s only time to tell if these changes will mitigate the problem of bots in Team Fortress 2, but the fact that Valve has considered it appropriate to actively combat the still-popular 15-year-old game is an encouraging sign.
The following is a list of changes from the Valves patch notes.
- Fixed an exploit related to clearing the in-game text chat
- Fixed an exploit where players could use sv_cheats on secure servers
- Fixed an exploit where players could teleport back to their own spawn by changing loadout/class while touching the other teams No Entry gate
- Fixed an exploit with the Huntsman in which a player could change loadout to negate the speed debuff when charged
- Fixed an exploit with the Ap-Sap where players could spam noises
- Fixed an exploit where dispensers could heal through glass on some maps
- Fixed an exploit where a Spy could disguise and create an invisible bullet blocking shield at their feet
- Fixed laggy animations on Halloween bosses, skeletons, ghosts and other ghoul-like beings
- Fixed the Spy using incorrect disguise weapons when disguising as Soldier, Pyro, Heavy or Engineer with no member of the same class on the opposing team
- Fixed projectiles sometimes colliding with teammates too early/late
- Fixed being able to change names during a matchmaking game
- Fixed some HUD images being blurry when using low texture settings
- Fixed the Spys feigned deaths with the Dead Ringer not showing up in the matchmaking quick team status bar
- Fixed %killername% and other placeholder names sometimes showing up on the kill cam and stats screen
- Re-enabled ability for servers to send disconnect reasons to clients
- Added ConVar net_disconnect_reason to use the disconnect reason sent from the client
- Removed Headgear option from the Mann Co. Catalog dropdown list
- Updated vote system
- Both teams can have a kick vote running at the same time
- Can have a global vote running at the same time as a kick vote
- Fixed sometimes not being able to vote on maps at the end of the round
- Updated the El Fiestibrero to fix a problem with the model
- Updated/Added some tournament medals
- Updated the localization files