Valve released a new version for Team Fortress 2 on Tuesday, about a month after a fan campaign orchestrated by the games player base brought several bleak surprises and bugs to the developer.
Fans of Team Fortress 2 walked to Reddit, Twitter, and Valves headquarters in May, launching a Save TF2 campaign to encourage Valve to act on the rise of bots, including insta-killers, spam comments, and copyrighted music in the chat. Once a lobby has more bots than humans, they are in danger.
Valve took the Twitter account for the first time in over two years to announce that improvements were planned.
We see how big this issue has become and are collaborating to improve things in this game.
The update addressing several issues that may be harmed by players, including eliminating the ability to enter cheat codes in the games developer console on secure servers, eliminating the ability to change names during the game, and improving the game voting system. However, the general consensus among TF2 players is that Valves'' latest update is a good start, addressing some persistent issues, but it isn''t enough to handle all of the games.
These are some significant quality of life changes, particularly the double vote kick, and not being able to change names during a match, according to Reddit user dilbert_gaming. No more worry about who is the real player and who is the bot who stole their name.
The only time will tell if these modifications will alleviate the problem of bots in Team Fortress 2, but the fact that Valve has believed that it is appropriate to actively address the still-popular 15-year-old game is an attractive sign.
The full list of changes from the Valves patch notes can be found here.
- Fixed an exploit related to clearing the in-game text chat
- Fixed an exploit where players could use sv_cheats on secure servers
- Fixed an exploit where players could teleport back to their own spawn by changing loadout/class while touching the other teams No Entry gate
- Fixed an exploit with the Huntsman in which a player could change loadout to negate the speed debuff when charged
- Fixed an exploit with the Ap-Sap where players could spam noises
- Fixed an exploit where dispensers could heal through glass on some maps
- Fixed an exploit where a Spy could disguise and create an invisible bullet blocking shield at their feet
- Fixed laggy animations on Halloween bosses, skeletons, ghosts and other ghoul-like beings
- Fixed the Spy using incorrect disguise weapons when disguising as Soldier, Pyro, Heavy or Engineer with no member of the same class on the opposing team
- Fixed projectiles sometimes colliding with teammates too early/late
- Fixed being able to change names during a matchmaking game
- Fixed some HUD images being blurry when using low texture settings
- Fixed the Spys feigned deaths with the Dead Ringer not showing up in the matchmaking quick team status bar
- Fixed %killername% and other placeholder names sometimes showing up on the kill cam and stats screen
- Re-enabled ability for servers to send disconnect reasons to clients
- Added ConVar net_disconnect_reason to use the disconnect reason sent from the client
- Removed Headgear option from the Mann Co. Catalog dropdown list
- Updated vote system
- Both teams can have a kick vote running at the same time
- Can have a global vote running at the same time as a kick vote
- Fixed sometimes not being able to vote on maps at the end of the round
- Updated the El Fiestibrero to fix a problem with the model
- Updated/Added some tournament medals
- Updated the localization files