Chris Cocks, the CEO of Wizards of the Coast, has revealed Universes Beyond, a Magic: The Gathering game that will include IPs such as Warhammer 4,000 and The Lord of the Rings.
According to WotC, The Universes Beyond products are a brand within MTG, both existing in addition to and alongside current products. Additional information was revealed during the 2021 Magic Showcase, revealing that Warhammer 40,000 Commander decks would be released in late 2022, along with Lord of the Rings and Doctor Who during the third quarter of 2023.
Universes Beyond Warhammer 40,000
Warhammer 40,000 issued an official statement in early spring, stating that the decks will include the brave warriors, deadly villains, and deadly Xenos races from the 41st Millennium on glossy cardstock. The Magic Showcase revealed that the Secret Lair drops will coincide with the MTG Warhammer 40,000 release.
The Universes Beyond Warhammer 40,000 set includes four Precon Commander decks.
- Necron Dynasty: Black
- Forces of the Imperium: Black, Blue, and White
- Tyranid Swarm: Red, Blue, and Green
- The Ruinous Powers: Red, Black, and Blue
The previous release date for the Warhammer 40,000 Universes Beyond set was scheduled for August, but it was postponed. A new release date is scheduled for October 7. All four Commander Precon decks are now available for preorder.
Tales of Middle Earth in Universes Beyond The Lord of the Rings
The whole MTG Lord of the Rings set will be released during the third quarter of 2023. Legal in Modern, the Universes Beyond set will be released via tabletop, Magic Online, and Magic Arena via the Alchemy format. It will also include Commander decks and Secret Lair drops. The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth set will also feature gameplay in the Limited format through Sealed and Draft.
We [we] knew that due to the enormousness of the set, the iconic nature of the stories, and the devotion fans have to The Lord of the Rings, we couldnt do the set justice without constructing a complete product lineup to allow as many players the opportunity to play with these classic characters as possible.
According to WotC, a new holofoil stamp will differentiate the brand from other Magic brands, as well as a distinct frame.
During Wizards Presents, new images for The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth Universes Beyond the MTG set were shown, including Frodo and the Balrog defeating Gandolf. A new booster fun treatment was also revealed for epic battles and moments throughout the trilogy's history.
Universes Beyond Doctor Who
Doctor Who is expected to be included in MTG Universes Beyond's IP roster during 2023, as the BBC commemorates the series' 60th anniversary. The set will contain four preconstructed Commander decks that will contain every Doctor over the course of the last 60 years, along with companions and villains. In conjunction with the Commander decks, WotC will sell Doctor Who collector boosters containing alternative art treatments.
More information about the Universes Beyond Doctor Who collaboration will be released closer to the set's 2023 third-quarter launch date. During Wizards Presents, several images showcasing what players can expect from the set were released.
Tips to know about MTG Universes Beyond
Universes Beyond is a collaboration of IPs that differ from a regular MTG set. Some are full sets, like LOTR, while others, like Doctor Who and Warhammer 40,000, are packed into Commander Precon decks.
- Universes Beyond products will be sold via most Magic channels.
- Wherever WotC sells Commander decks, players can also find the Warhammer 40,000, Doctor Who, and Lord of the Rings decks.
- Universes Beyond products are not limited to Secret Lair drops, but will on occasion be associated with Secret Lair products, similar to the Secret Lair Godzilla lands from IKO.
- It will also be offered as an occasional standalone product, just like recent The Walking Dead Secret Lair drops.
- Universes Beyond cards are not Standard-legal.Most are Eternal legal while The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth is Modern legal.
- WotC is reserving the Universes Beyond branding for worlds outside those built by WotC, for now.
- Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms are not canonically a part of the Magic Multiverse, for now.
According to WotC, cards within Universes Beyond will include a wide array of treatments. The Warhammer 40,000 Commander decks will be released on October 7, while The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth and Doctor Who are scheduled to release in the third quarter of 2023.