Ajani, a planewalker, is joining the enemy ranks as a sleeper agent in Magic: The Gathering.
Tamiyo was the first MTG planeswalker to defeat the Phyrexians in Kamigawa: Neon Nights, while others were Compleated as well behind the scenes, according to WotC during Wizards Presents. Ajani is the newest planeswalker to expose Karn's intentions.
Ajani Goldmane is a Leonin from Alara, who is a gatewalker for the Gatewatch. Ajani is on the plane of Dominaria, hoping to assist Karn in his exploration of the Phyrexians. But somewhere between the first and second chapters, Ajani becomes a sleeper agent.
- Mana cost: 1G(G/W)W
- Compleated: Players can pay either Green/White or two life. If life was paid, Ajani enters the battlefield with two fewer loyalty counters.
- Type: Legendary PlaneswalkerAjani
- Rarity: Mythic Rare
- Starting Loyalty: Four
- Plus-one: Reveal the top card of your library. If its a creature or planeswalker card, put it into your hand. Otherwise, you may put it on the bottom of your library.
- Minus-three: Distribute three +1/+1 counters among up to three targets. These gain Vigilance until the end of the turn.
- Minus-six: You get an emblem with Whenever you cast a creature or planeswalker spell, target opponent gets two Poison counters.
With Ajani, Sleeper Agents ultimate, poison counters return to Standard. Players and not cards, a player loses the game if accumulating 10 or more poison counters. Tamiyo, Compleated Sage also has an alternative casting cost.
Players may pay either Green or White in addition to 1GW as part of the hybrid cost, or pay two life, resulting in two less loyalty counters on Ajani. The minus-three loyalty ability is thematically Ajani, pumping up creatures' power and toughness while providing Vigilance, and the plus-one synergizes with creature-heavy decks, fetching them from the library to hand.
When the Magic set launches on September 1, or through the global launch on September 9, players may test out Ajani and the rest of the Dominaria United cards.