Chelsea aren't slacking around. In the span of less than 48 hours, the Blues sacked manager Thomas Tuchel and unveiled his replacement, Graham Potter.
Graham Potter, who was appointed as Stamford Bridge's new manager, has prompted some debate: Can he do a better job with Chelsea than Thomas Tuchel, or is this a smart move for the former Brighton manager? A comparison between two teams might give us a better understanding of why Potter chose to switch teams.
What better way to compare than to use FIFA 22 player ratings? Let's clarify some ground rules.
- To make the comparison as objective as possible, we will use the same formation for both squads. Well go with the classic 4-4-2.
- We wont be picking by position. Instead, we will take the defenders, midfielders, and attackers with the highest overall, even if they are, for example, four CDMs.
- We will use each players highest-rated card in FIFA 22 FUT. The only exception is Shapeshifter items since they dont represent the players real-life positions. The item used for the comparison will be listed in brackets next to the OVR rating.
- We have adjusted the squads to their real-life equivalents as of Sept. 8, 2022.
Which FIFA 22 team is better?Chelsea against Brighton
- GK Edouard Mendy 89 OVR (TOTY Honorable Mentions)
- CB Kalidou Koulibaly 95 OVR (TOTS)
- CB Antonio Rudiger 90 OVR (TOTY Honorable Mentions)
- RWB Reece James 89 OVR (Headliners)
- CB Andreas Christensen 87 OVR (TOTGS)
- CDM NGolo Kante 97 OVR (TOTY)
- CM Jorginho 96 OVR (TOTY)
- CAM Kai Havertz 94 OVR (FUTTIES)
- CM Mateo Kovacic 88 OVR (Showdown)
- CF Raheem Sterling 97 OVR (Player Moments)
- ST Timo Werner 90 OVR (RTTK)
- GK Robert Sanchez 76 OVR (Base)
- LB Leandro Trossard 81 OVR (TOTW)
- LB Pervis Estupinan 79 OVR (Base)
- CB Lewis Dunk 78 OVR (Base)
- CB Joel Veltman 77 OVR (Base)
- CM Enock Mwepu 84 OVR (TOTW)
- LM Kaoru Mitoma 82 OVR (TOTW)
- LM Alexis Mac Allister 81 OVR (TOTW)
- CDM Billy Gilmour 79 OVR (MOTM)
- ST Deniz Undav 94 OVR (TOTS)
- ST Danny Welbeck 74 OVR (Silver Stars)
Graham Potter brought his talents to Stamford Bridge. Chelseas new manager will have a much stronger squad than he had at Brighton. But with that comes increased pressure. And unless Potter wins the Champions League with Chelsea, he will not be able to claim that he performed better than Tuchel.